Friday, March 31, 2006

Grindie & Shoestep

So I'm sure by now you've all heard about this whole grindie thing (grime + indie = grindie - was called grimdie for a few short weeks). The inventor/point man in this unusual new genre is Statik, who kicked things off last year with his remix of Bloc Party's "Positive Tension" and has just released his "Grindie Mixtape vol 1". I havn't heard it yet, waiting for it be uploaded to Statik or Logan's myspace.

The response to the mixtape seems pretty positive - well Prancehall digs it anyway.

Still, it seems odd that grime as a pretty challenging, underground music form wants to get into bed with mainstream, mostly boring indie. Over at Dissensus, someone suggested that they'd much prefer to hear grime getting down with the likes of Lightning Bolt, and I can relate to that. On a similar tip, I've been banging on about this shoestep bizniss for ages now (again, inspired by someone on Dissensus) - dubstep rhythms crossed with MBV style shoegaze guitar feedback. I reckon the sub pressure of dubstep vs the squalling guitars would be a match made in heaven. There's also some aesthetic parallels with the whole Doom/Southern Lord abstract sludge metal stuff. Someone needs to ge the ball rolling and sample some of those incredible tones one Earth Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions.

What I'm fumbling over here is that the sometimes brutal sounds of grime and dubstep would sound much better married up to something more interesting and sonically compatible than Babyshambles etc al. I suppose I see the point of the Test Icicles hook up, with their "grimy" attitude, but then I really don't think that much of the Test Icicles music myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger tryptych said...

I've got it, but still not listened to it. Will get around to it eventually. Obserever music monthly compared it to Napalm Death (?).

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home